Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The Two Minute Rule, by Robert Crais

The Two Minute Rule by Robert Crais is a standalone novel, that does not feature Elvis Cole or Joe Pike or any of his recurring characters.


The Two Minute Rule refers to the time a prospective bank robber has from when he announces a hold-up to the time he must exit the bank so that police won't have time to respond.  The protagonist, Max Holman, is a convicted bank robber, recently released from prison.


Robert Crais does a nice job of making a sympathetic protagonist who is wholly rehabilitated, while showing some of the struggles ex-convicts face on re-integration.  He also shows a number of the supports available to ex-convicts, and the people and social services who genuinely want to see them succeed.  I wouldn't say that Max is a fully developed character in the way that Elvis Cole however.  Like Joe Pike, Max seems to wait in limbo until the next action moment arrives.


The other major character is Katherine Pollard, a former FBI agent.  There were aspects of her characterization that I really liked, though at times I wasn't sure all of her personality traits fully meshed into the character.

What I really liked though was the relationship between Max and Katherine.  I thought Mr. Crais did a very good job of showing their relationship and justifying how there could be a relationship between an ex-con and a law enforcement agent.  It was believable and moving, and I haven't really seen that in the Cole and Pike books.  Although I really like Carol Starkey, and always hope that Cole will see it too, I haven't seen either Cole or Pike make a connection in a way that feels like a relationship with depth and chemistry. 


As a result, I need to reevaluate the Elvis Cole and Joe Pike books a bit.  I find Elvis' partner, Lucy Chenier, to be lacking depth, and never really saw why Elvis felt so strongly about her.  Seeing Max and Katherine, it's clear that Mr. Crais can write strong male-female dynamic relationships, so if he's choosing not to, it must be to put the emphasis on the Cole-Pike friendship.  Thinking about it, some of the clearest moments to me from the various Cole and Pike books are things like where Elvis, just rescued, gets a bucket to wash Pike's car.


I was never in doubt about the strength of their friendship, but it does make me wonder if the construction of the novels is intended to show that the depth of their friendship leaves no room for anyone else... because that wouldn't seem like a rewarding friendship but more of a dependent relationship.  I had always liked how Elvis tended not to let cases consume him, but still made time to eat, sleep and exercise.  He values a well rounded approach to work and life.  Pike has always been more of an action-only cipher and harder to picture in a romantic relationship.  I like that they complement each other, understand each other, admire each other and work well together, but could it also be to such an extent that neither is capable of forming bonds with anyone else?  Or that anyone else just can't measure up? 


As I say, I need to think on that some more, though I think I'd go back to someone like Carol Starkey, where Elvis and Joe could both have a level of understanding and admiration for someone who operates in their own line of work.  It's just too bad Elvis doesn't see Carol as a romantic possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment