Friday, October 30, 2009

Robert Crais

I debated whether I should try to start off with one of my favourite authors, but decided to just go with my current reading material.

I was at my local library trying to decide if I should give Lee Child a try (I did, and enjoyed him, and will likely read more of his to post here in the future), and they had one of those signs "If you like this author, you may like...", and it listed Robert Crais and Barry Eisler, among others.

I tried Demolition Angel, thought it was okay, so decided to try a couple from his series.  I read L.A. Requiem and The Watchman.  I think the Joe Pike character acts mostly as an invincible superhero to advance the plot of the Elvis Cole novels where necessary, but when the story was told from his perspective (The Watchman), it was less irksome.

I also think, based on the jacket photos, that perhaps Mr. Crais pictures himself as Joe Pike, but I don't mind that, since readers might like to do the same.  (For myself, being more of a talkative type, I find it easier to identify with Cole, but the Hawaiian shirts comprising his outfits throw me off a bit).

I've just finished The Forgotten Man (an Elvis Cole novel) and am just starting The Two Minute Rule.  Comments to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment