Thursday, November 5, 2009

20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill

I'm not sure entirely how to comment on this book.  It's a collection of short stories, and I'm always at a bit of a loss when I try to comment on collected works. (I guess I should have thought of that before, but I'm into it now anyway...). 

I like to read short stories occasionally, generally when I don't feel I have the time to fully engage in a novel.  I prefer samplings of a variety of authors and I usually go with something like "Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine" rather than a book collection.  My primary purpose in reading short stories is to see if there's a neat idea, turn of phrase or observation to convince me that it's worth picking up a novel by that author.

In that regard, I like a collection like Legends.  It's a collection of fantasy authors, writing prequels, sequels or other stories set in the worlds created by those authors in their longer series.  It gives a reader a flavour for their work and can potentially introduce a reader to some new authors and series.  That's exactly what I'm looking for in a collection of short stories (though to be fair, it's more of a collection of novellas).  A side benefit is getting an extra story set in a familiar world by an author I have already been reading.

Otherwise, I don't tend to read short stories for the form itself.  I find they're usually one-idea stories, with little characterization or insight.  Often I think the nature of the idea is such that it probably wouldn't warrant a novel (or hold the interest of a reader for that period).  As a result, reading a collection of short stories usually doesn't hold my interest, and by a certain point I'm generally looking for the "short" short stories in the collection, interspersing my reading of the collection with other books and generally feeling as though it's a chore to finish rather than any desire to continue.

So perhaps it was a little unfair to Mr. Hill to sample his short story collection first.  I justify my decision on the basis that I was kind of conflicted over whether I wanted to read him at all.  I tend to be disappointed in horror novels, and often seem to set a higher standard whereby I am prepared to feel manipulated much more easily than I would with other genres of fiction.

At any rate, a number of the stories in this collection were exceptional.  I've been convinced that it's worth trying some of Joe Hill's other works, and am looking forward to Heart Shaped Box

As with any short story collection, it was hit and miss.  Some of the stories I found predictable and trying too hard to push buttons.  Others I thought were excellent and haunting.  Some, frankly, I didn't get.  I don't think it's because of a lack of attentiveness in my reading, I think perhaps the stories might speak to certain people in certain ways, or maybe the author just isn't managing to connect.

"Pop Art" is much vaunted in the introduction to 20th Century Ghosts, and in my view is entirely deserving of the praise.  It's an excellent short story.  Really neat.  I found "My Father's Mask" extremely disturbing.  It's one of those stories that I think speaks to particular people in particular ways.  Many might find it just weird, whereas some of those I found weird or empty might resonate for other readers.  "Abraham's Boys" was fun and cleverly written.  I enjoyed "Voluntary Committal", which was one of the longer stories, but it's an indication of how much I was enjoying this short story collection that even though it was the last story, I was still interested enough to enjoy reading it and turned the last page looking for more.

Overall, this is a well written, compelling collection.  I would definitely read Joe Hill's novels, and (surprising to me) would probably be inclined to pick up another short story collection if I saw his name.

No comments:

Post a Comment