Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Rain Fall by Barry Eisler

Wow.  That was an excellent book.  A really good read.  I was reading along last night, and really enjoying it, then decided it was probably time to turn in.  I woke up at about 2:30 and decided I really needed to read just another couple of chapters because I couldn't stop thinking about it.  I did manage to save the last two chapters so I'd have something to read while walking to work this morning.

This is the first novel by Barry Eisler featuring his protagonist, John Rain.

The plot is good, no complaints, moves right along, good closure.  I admit here that I started with the third book, Hard Rain (I'll comment more on this below).  Based on that, I can see there's also an overarching plot across the series which is always nice, and makes for more compelling reading.  It may be going too far to say there's foreshadowing stretching across three books, but certainly Mr. Eisler sets up events and circumstances anticipating the future books.

The characters are excellent.  The protagonist, John Rain is good, and if perhaps a little on the invincible side of things, well, that's partly why I enjoy these sorts of books.  The supporting characters are extremely well drawn in my view.  Even the characters who are entirely offstage for most of the books are given little details and points of their personality so the reader can get a strong sense for who these people are, and care about what's happening to them.  Ultimately I think that's one of the keys for me.  Plots I often find forgettable, but I remember the books where I have an interest in the characters, and can imagine their reactions in various scenarios.

The setting is good.  I've never been to Tokyo, and concede I sort of skimmed over some of the Japanese names for neighbourhoods and subway lines, but in relatively few strokes, Mr. Eisler conveyed several distinct areas of Tokyo and conveyed a comfort, enjoyment and knowledge of the city.  I can see myself interested in revisiting this novel if I do make my way to Tokyo at some point.

The book also has a few interesting concepts to think about.  I'd like to do a separate post on that, so I won't comment further here, other than to say that one of the things I love about a book is if it can present some ideas for me to mull over after the fact, consider and discuss with friends.  Rain Fall has that characteristic as well.

I mentioned above that I had read Hard Rain by Barry Eisler.  I read it about a month ago.  It was okay, I enjoyed the plot, really liked the secondary characters, but wasn't gripped by John Rain.  Now, having read Rain Fall, I have a much greater understanding of John Rain, as a character he makes a lot more sense to me, and I really want to go back and read Hard Rain again with my renewed understanding.

I haven't discussed much in the way of plot, as with suspense or mystery novels, that can be a large part of the joy of reading.  I won't break that habit now by revealing "spoilers", but with a novel like Rain Fall, it's a pleasure to read for so many reasons in addition to the plot, that I'm looking forward to re-reading it some day.  I am, however, really excited by the idea of talking about this novel.  I know I said Robin Cook would be next, but I think I'm going to have to pre-empt him for Rain Storm by Barry Eisler.

No comments:

Post a Comment