Thursday, March 19, 2015

The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith

Robert Galbraith is, I understand, a pseudonym for J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter novels.  I read the first Robert Galbraith novel, Cuckoo's Calling, and I think was a little distracted by the possibility I was reading a new J.K. Rowling novel.


I didn't compare and closely analyze the writing style in this novel to compare against J.K. Rowling.  I tried to read the novel for itself, and to determine whether I'd be interested in reading another Robert Galbraith novel for Robert Galbraith, not because of Harry Potter.  I guess I thought of it like a TV Fall season premiere.  I usually watch the pilot, but I make my judgment about the show based on the second episode, since I feel it's more representative.


The Silkworm is the second novel to feature Cormoran Strike, private detective, and I was able to appreciate this novel much more on its own merits.  I enjoy private detective novels, and consider myself quite familiar with the genre.  It's fun to read a British example of the form, and I'm trying to think if I can recall one I've read since Sherlock Holmes and his various pastiches.


The mystery is a bit gruesome for my taste, and I would say more so than most private detective novels.  Mr. Galbraith makes good use of some modern technology; his detective doesn't spurn the idea of computer searches, but it still relies on classic private detective work.  The mystery is fair, and there are some reasonable clues.  As indicated in my earlier post, the characters are very well drawn and the relationships have the resonance of truth. 
Read While Walking: Entitlement vs Unreasonable Expectation


I really like the relationship between Strike and Robin.  I like their partnership and their characters.  I get a little nervous about the hints towards romantic tension between the two.  I like the idea of an equal working partnership uncluttered by romance... but I guess a lot of partnerships start out that way and ultimately change.  I don't mind if there's a nod towards some chemistry since most lonesome PIs have some unattainable love interest towards whom they are unreasonably chivalrous and chaste, and I have to confess I don't mind this relationship falling into that mold, provided it maintains the status quo I'm enjoying so much.


While I say the characterizations are good, I have to confess I'm still getting a handle on the character of Cormoran Strike.  He seems to be a loner in many ways, but also to have a vast network of very loyal friends and contacts.  His character is being revealed more than it was in Cuckoo's Calling and we're gradually getting a better sense of him with some overarching plotlines to provide additional depth for the constant reader.  While the grit of the stories and the streets he goes through, as well as his hardboiled but chivalrous knight personality meet the criteria required for the American PI, he's got enough quirks, distinctive aspects and startling leaps of logic to create a bridge with the British Consulting Detective.


I would look forward to reading another novel by Robert Galbraith, for itself, because I really enjoy the private detective genre, I like the British take on the form, and it was an enjoyable read.  I'd also read it for the relationship between Strike and Robin, and hope that Mr. Galbraith retains the similarly classic PI tradition that the relationship stays static no matter how many cases he solves.

No comments:

Post a Comment