Monday, February 23, 2015

Books based on Academy Award Nominees

I like books.  I also like movies.  Sometimes movies can put me onto good books.  Based on this year's nominated films, I've only read one book on which a nominated film was based.  So if I (or anyone else) is interested in reading books based on this year's Academy nominated films, our choices are:


American Sniper:  The autobiography of the most lethal sniper in U.S. military history by Chris Kyle.  Based on what I've read of Stephen Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger novels (Point of Impact and corresponding film "Shooter"), he's presumably surpassing Carlos Hathcock.


Still Alice by Lisa Genova. 
Alan Turing:  The Enigma by Andrew Hodges
Traveling to Infinity: My life with Stephen by Jane Wilde Hawking
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (I've got this book, just haven't read it yet).
Wild:  From Lost to Found on the Pacific Coast Trail by Cheryl Strayed
Unbroken: A World War II story of survival, resilience and redemption by Lauren Hillenbrand
How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (this is the one I've read).


From this, I think we can see that whatever criticisms we might like to make about the film industry, they're much better at titles than the literary world.


I haven't included "Song of the Sea" based on Celtic tales of Selkies, nor "The Tale of Princess Kaguya", based on Japanese folk tales.


So from this list, for myself, I think my priority reading ranking would be:


Gone Girl
Still Alice
American Sniper (I rarely read biographical novels, and even here my interest isn't high).


I've heard a lot of positive buzz about Gone Girl and Still Alice is apparently an excellent, affecting and difficult story.


While I have some level of interest in the stories of Stephen Hawking, Alan Turing and Wild I think I'll plan to watch the film versions and only if there's something I see that makes me think there's a lot more to the book would I pick up the novel.


How to Train Your Dragon I'll probably wait to read until I can read it with my sons.


If anyone has reading suggestions based on this list (or other movies that were overlooked by the 2015 Oscars), please feel free to add them in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment