Thursday, February 19, 2015

Dangerous Women vol. 2 "Second Arabesque, Very Slowly" by Nancy Kress

As indicated below, I received the Dangerous Women collection (ed. by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois) as a three book set, so I'm commenting on one short story from each, as well as the "keynote" novella.


Dangerous Women vol. 2 was probably my favourite of the set.  I found that a bit surprising, because it's the middle volume, and because the first was anchored by George R.R. Martin and the third was anchored by Brendon Sanderson and I was particularly looking forward to those stories.


However, I can say I really enjoyed each one of the stories in this volume.  I've been interested in Lev Grossman for some time, so was glad to get some exposure to his writing style.  "Lies My Mother Told Me" by Caroline Spector was a lot of fun.  I sometimes find the Wild Card stories a bit dark for my taste, but this was upbeat and exciting. 


To my surprise for this second volume I am again most taken by a science fiction story, "Second Arabesque, Very Slowly" by Nancy Kress.  I've never read any of her other works, but may keep an eye out for them.


This story is set in a dystopian, urban future, in which gangs struggle and fight each other for survival and treat women largely as chattels for procreation and recreation.  The protagonist is an older woman, a healer for a roaming gang who has some memories from her Grandmother of a time before everything was merely about survival.


The gang spends a night in Lincoln Centre in New York, and a member of the gang rediscovers some books on ballet and a film with an excerpt of a ballet performance.  The story then explores whether there is room for art in the struggle for survival, and whether the craving for art may be an element necessary for survival as humans as opposed to survival as something less.


The story is written in a way that inspires enthusiasm and passion for ballet, and the arts, and awakens a desire to look at ballet again as a means of elevating our spirits.  It's very nicely done.  I wanted to watch a ballet again with fresh eyes, and have the sense of wonder the characters in the story achieve.  I'd strongly recommend this short story for those who appreciate the arts, and as a justification for the broader and more universal benefits the arts provide.  I can't wait for Ballet in the Park this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment